Saturday, March 03, 2007

It's a good thing you can "opt out" of this......

Below is an article about Virginia passing legislation that will require all girls to receive the NEW vaccine for certain virus' that cause cervical cancer.

Now, I have no problem with vaccinations, I really don't. MY problem with this one is that it is SO NEW and the government is trying to FORCE us to put it in out daughters!

I want more research to see what kind of long-term reactions might show up. I am always suspicious when some new drug or vaccine comes out and the government wants to push it on us "for the greater good"!

I am relieved that WE, as parents can "opt out" of this, but how long will that be an option? KWIM!

All I know, is that I agree with my dear, dear sweet husband...."there is always the homeschool option." I have a feeling that will come about sooner, rather than later!

Updated:2007-03-02 08:21:59
Virginia to Require Vaccine for Girls
AP
RICHMOND, Va. (March 2) - Gov. Timothy M. Kaine said Thursday he would sign legislation requiring all sixth-grade girls to be vaccinated against the sexually transmitted virus that can cause cervical cancer.

Virginia would become the second state to mandate the vaccine for the human papillomavirus, or HPV, and the first to do it through legislative action. Texas Gov. Rick Perry sidestepped the Legislature and ordered the shots for girls there, but lawmakers are considering overriding that order.

"I think it strikes the right balance," said Kaine, who wanted to make sure parents would have enough time to review the vaccine and allow them to opt out "without having to jump through hoops."

The requirement would go into effect for the 2009 school year. If parents want to opt out, they must review literature provided by their child's school, then sign a form.

The federal government approved Gardasil, the only vaccine on the market, in June and suggested it be given to females before they become sexually active.


03/01/07 23:24 EST

2 comments:

Kayla said...

out this and whilst I think it may prove to be a good thing, it angers me that these lawmakers are trying to run the lives of American citizens in a FREE country. Free?!?!? NOT!

Kayla said...

Hm? That's supposed to be "I read about this." But it cut off part of my comment. *sigh*