Saturday, March 22, 2008

Interesting start to my day.....

Okay.. a little background:

There was this message board that I was a member of for about 2 years. I did not post much, but read it at least weekly. In the last couple of months, I had been posting more, mainly because of ending my relationship with a previous message board.

I was really starting to feel comfortable there. It was a smallish board because the owner limited the number of members. She would periodically "cull" inactive members and open up for membership, but would not let the number of members get to be too high. I liked that. It was also a "Christian" site, which meant that I did not have to worry about new-agey, "out there" type posts.

Okay... last night (3-21-08) I posted on a thread where someone asked what religion everyone was. The thread was started the day before, I believe, but I waited to see how others posted before I did. **I am in no way ashamed of my beliefs.** After seeing that the other ladies stated their religion and some of their core beliefs, I felt comfortable posting mine.

All I did was post that I was a Jehovah's Witness and some of our core beliefs. Nothing more, nothing less.

This morning (3-22-08) I sign on to read the new posts and to look at a recipe I was thinking of making. I was surprised to see that my post had been removed and the thread was locked! I decided to pm the owner to ask if something had happened. Let me just say that I was NOT expecting the response that I received! I was informed that she (the owner) was a Christian, and as such believed that MY beliefs were falso doctrine! And that she has the right to remove any post that she wanted to, if she felt she should, but that I was welcome to stay on the board. (Um, yeah right)

I sent another message to her. I told her that I was sorry that she feels that I am not a Christian, but it was not the first time I had run across this online. I also stated that, that is why I posted scripture to back up my beliefs that I posted. I had not tried to "preach" to anyone, nor had I tried to start a debate. I had simply answered a question that was posted to the board in general. I let her know that I looked over the site for any evidence that I would not be welcome there...and since I had not, I joined.

She then told me that she was not going to argue or debate with me over the running of her board, and that my post did not meet the requirements for her board. (okay?!?!) I then messaged her back that I was not questioning how she ran her board, but that if she did not want JW's posting, then she needed to make that known. I also informed her that I could not stay on a message board if I could not express my beliefs. So, I deleted my account there.

Okay... my biggest issue is that she would not just come out and state that she did not want me to post anything about my beliefs! I would have at least RESPECTED her for that!

Such a shame.... such an absolute shame.

10 comments:

Sheree said...

Molly,
I am so sorry that this happened to you yet again! I am sitting here shaking my head at how so many "christian" ladies behave towards others, especially online. It is very sad indeed when we think our "religion" is the only right one. I still say that as long as you know Jesus and believe in him and are "saved" then I couldn't care less what religion you are...just so long as I will see you in heaven someday, kwim? Such a shameful testimony of that owner!!! Christians tend to be the most hypocritical people out there, if you ask me!!!
Honestly, my blood is just boiling over this!!

lowderra2 said...

I'm very sorry that happened to you. But I'm not surprised. I grew up JW and I've seen people treat Witnesses, Mennonites, and Mormons pretty shabby.

I guess just shake the dust off your feet and go in peace. There are lots of people in this world who DO love you Molly and love to have you around. And you can talk about the JW faith all you want on my board if it makes you feel any better.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Molly said...

Thanks to you both!

Yes, Rachel, I will "shake the dust" off my feet. I do not want to be some place I am not wanted. And thanks for the offer on your board. He he he I will only post about what I believe when it relevant to a post. LOL Like I did on that board.

Oh...and I have already had to delete a comment that was just a bunch of anti-JW garbage. LOL

Hey... it is MY blog and I can run it the way I want to! (wink)

Anonymous said...

Heh. 'tis not surprising that Jehovah's Witnesses are the most hated religion on earth...

They follow Jesus Christ's example and that of the first century Christians more closely than any other religion I've ever observed. They walk the walk, literally.

But then, Jesus did say that his true followers would be hated by the world...(Mark 13:13; John 15;18, 19; 1 Peter 4;3,4)

Keep yer chin up, sister!

Michelle said...

I am sorry that you were treated so rudely.

Anonymous said...

Moly, I am sorry you were treated with such disrespect... and you are right, this is your blog:P

Molly said...

PCS, Michelle, and Ginger...

Thank you so much for your thoughts and support. I do appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I too, would like to express my sorrow that you were so hurt--however, I think that you should feel honored--yes, because you have truly "witnessed"--you have been persecuted for your beliefs. I am not a Jehovah Witness, but I have always admired the way that they work to spread the Good Word--and I am currently visited regularly by a delightful lady who is a member--I always enjoy reading the literature--which she brings to me. I do have a question if you don't mind--I was reading your menus and noted meat--I was under the impression that Jehovah Witness did not eat meat--could you educate me on that please?--from suzy.

Melissa said...

Wow! How frustrating! It matters little whether you think the other is a Christian or not - you should never treat another person that way. If she wanted to cull people out based on religious beliefs she should have stated that from the start.