Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Using the USDA's Guide for grocery budget.....

I decided to look up the USDA's website to see what they had for their monthly food budget plans. (I always like to see how much less I spend than what they
"think" I should! LOL)

The most recent figures they have are for April, 2008 (here)

For their "Thrifty" plan for my family, I should be spending $694.07 a month on FOOD! Let me just say, even with my being lazy that last couple of months, I did not spend even close to that amount on food! I also did some stocking up and did not come close to that amount!

I am still planning on spending just $350 for this month, with a budget of $50 for non-food items (this will include pet supplies also). This is a very reasonable amount, since I have a nice pantry and have been working with a pantry for years.

Our garden is also starting to produce, so that helps keep costs down at the store. I also need to look into some new canning recipes so that I can stock up my pantry with home made items!

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm assuming that this is just on food products. I haven't used my grocery budget just for food in so long that I would really have to work to separate the other stuff out to have an accurate amount to compare with.

Molly said...

I used to just include everything in my grocery budget, but since I have not kept track in the last few months, I want to try and do "just groceries" for the first month.

Michelle said...

I think that when I enter last week's numbers into my price book I'll add up just the food and see where we're at.

Unknown said...

Wow! Just wow... 694.07!! That's a lot...

I'll have to go visit that website again soon, Molly!

Sheree said...

We have a larger family and I can't imagine spending $600 a month on groceries! We are more in the $350 range for groceries and thats not counting the toiletries and household necessities at all. Those are in a seperate budget. I am amazed at the amounts that the government thinks we should be spending on their "thrifty" plan.

Donna B said...

Wow for my family of 11 I should be spending close to $1400. I guess my $700 is going pretty good!

Oh Molly girl! You have been tagged!